Thursday, January 8, 2009

Picture a Day-Day 37

Today is my hubby's birthday! He's an old man at age 26 now (I can always pick on him as I'm a whole 6 months younger, he he he) but he can still enjoy some of the finer things in life:When he was younger it was a tradition for his mom to make him a banana cake on his birthday. I attempted it last year though it was sort of a lazy mans cake (in a rectangular pan with some frosting on top kinda thing). This year I worked a bit harder and spiced up the recipe a touch adding cinnamon, nutmeg, and banana liquor.

The fun part was getting to smoosh up all the bananas with a whisk.It always amazes me sometimes how just the addition of flour, eggs, and baking soda can create something completely different. Powdery and wet ingredients form something hard and spongy. That's chemistry at work though sadly baking a cake won't help you to pass your test.

Since I did make the cake up from scratch (Not that a box was an option. Who has banana cake sitting on the shelves in a grocery store?) I went the lazy route and used canned frosting. Actually I have a deep fear of ever attempting to make frosting at home after some very nasty attempts that failed fantastically.I've also come to adore my cake spreader thing. Before I had it I tried using a butter knife. Ever try using a butter knife to frost a red velvet cake? It looked like a horrible Christmas massacre had taken place as the red crumbly bits mixed with the white cream cheese leaving a slightly bloody pink slick on parts of the cake.

Once the cake was nicely covered in chocolate goo, I thought "Well this looks nice but it's kinda plain. How can I dress it up?" Then I remembered we still had some leftover yellow frosting that was the mustard in the hot dog groom's cake.

Being all so clever I thought hey I can tell people what this cake is by adding some yellow bananas. But that didn't look right, so then I added some more yellow stuff to try again.

It still looked weird so I finally decided screw it, I'm going for broke and tried to line the edge with the last of the yellow frosting. Then for good measure I put some sprinkles on top cause we all want sprinkles.

This is why I should never ever decorate cakes unless I have a plan in my head thought out for a few months:

Every time I look at it I break out into giggles. It looks so awful, like Big Bird had an accident on it or it was the site of a radioactive waste dump. (I bet you guys can come up with better explanations for the random yellow droppings)

I tried to take a picture of myself laughing while also eating up the last of the chocolate frosting but I don't think it worked too well:This whole challenge for That Wife of taking a picture of someone laughing is hard. Other people as soon as you put the camera on them clam up or do a weird pose and my own personal portraits are a touch avaunt garde I'd say. But maybe as you guys get a good look at the cake I made you can join in the laughter, take a picture and enter that.


P.S. I promise to explain the whole makeover and 365 links later but I just had to share this cake as soon as possible.

11 comments:

Jenna said...

Haha, I'm realizing that I am going to have to start socializing more often if I want to get a picture of someone else laughing. Or I am going to have to go to the mall one day and be the creepy girl taking picture of strangers.

Ellen Mint said...

Taking pictures of strangers. Why didn't I think of that?

Or I could really start annoying my coworkers by hiding in the break room behind the vending machines, springing out on them at the last second to take a picture.

Leslie said...

That is absolutely hilarious. To think you could do the "hot dog" so well and mess up frosting that cake so bad...

Cate Subrosa said...

Ha ha, look at the little yellow turds! :P

Happy Birthday, Introverted Husband.

Ellen Mint said...

I didn't mess up. I frosted it quite well with the chocolate.

It just needed the addition of some character, a nice crooked line or random sprinkles.

Okay so it's hilarious and ugly as hell, but at least it made you laugh.

Mrs. Not-so-Domesticated said...

That cake is so funny. I'm sure it was delicious though!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

YUMMY! I want a huge peice please! :)

RelentlessBride

Mrs Anne said...

it's the thought that counts right?

:) I bet it was delish!



happiest bday to your hubby!

valerie said...

Haha, I think the cake is awesome. Awesomely hilarious too.

Happy birthday to your husband! It's my mom's birthday too! And Elvis! :D

Once again, I get an interesting word for my verification: "turdio." Hahahaha.

Linda said...

He's a Capricorn too! My birthday is the 7th. Happy birthday, Introverted Husband. Hope it's a great one!

Lindsey said...

YUMMO!