Friday, June 26, 2009

Picture a Day - Day 205

I had this great post all planned for today about the wild and wacky adventures of an animal scientist and how it was perfectly normal to stop at a Starbucks to exchange cow blood for cow cells.

I got there a little bit before the designated meeting time (which the cell bringer had stated numerous times, I didn't pick it), scored myself a drink to combat the scorching temps, took a few pictures and settled in with a book to wait.
And wait and wait and wait.

I spent an hour outside not wanting to be that weird person sitting in an interstate starbucks staring out the window while the staff gave me weird looks. My body could only stand the 3 gallon water loss and rather than having people call the cops to bust a mummy I braved sitting inside to wait some more.

In the end the person I was waiting for didn't even get into work til our meeting time and she still had to drive another hour and a half. Did she call me? Oh, of course not. I was just left twiddling my thumbs, not having a clue what was going on and sitting with a cooler full of blood for an hour and a half in the summer sun.

I'm a pushover. I'll bend over backwards (and probably grab at my ankles) to help people (but if you push me too far I'll just break off all contact). I always show up early to a place (or have a small panic attack if I can't) because I hate making people wait. But oh they have no trouble making me sit there in an office or vanishing because they forgot all about an appointment.
I think I'm just gonna go live in a cave and never answer my phone ever again.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I've heard you say you wouldn't answer your phone before. You LIE!

Chesney said...

Ohhhhhh, the fun of families (and just to make you feel better - it never ends LOL)!

Unknown said...

My initial reaction? Skip it, skip it, skip it! The two of you have a more than understandable reason to miss out. Plus, as you said, it's just the dinner, not a rehearsal.

However, if I were in the same situation, I'd let (make?) my husband make the call.

Michelle Simpson Photos said...

Wow. I hear you completely on the being late thing. I have a mini panic attack it seems like when I am almost late.

And wow on the wedding stuff. Since you are already planning to travel to this wedding, I don't understand why they are throwing a fit at this. I think you should go with your original plan. They will just have to get over it and realize that you two are a family now and YOUR family comes first and theirs second. As much as I personally would love to go to the dinner, if I had something (like moving) that desperately needed to get done, that would be the end of it.

Good luck!

jennifer said...

I think you somehow express to your MIL or SIL that, although you've known about the wedding for a while, the move is happening at the same time and you have already alloted the time you THOUGHT you needed for the wedding. Since there had been no mention of rehersal dinner you just can't make it work....and had you only known earlier-you would have budgeted that into your time.

Easier said than done, I know. I'm angry for you.

Linda said...

Ugh, family politics. I would go just avoid the fuss of "you should have been there." Honestly there's no good way to go here. Don't go you'll get harassed. Go and you'll be inconvenienced. It sucks. I feel for you.