Monday, November 2, 2009

Picture a Day - Day 335

While starting out on Saturday to take care of some boring weekend errands I remarked to my husband that this would be our first real Halloween on the other side of the fence.

Instead of us as the wee tots wearing the care bare or ghost costume staring doe eyed at the sugar in front of us, we were the possibly weird adults sitting inside the house handing out tummy aches by the bagful.

At first I wasn't sure how it'd all go, but once those little spooks and ghouls showed up we slipped right into showtime.

Under a bright full moon our yard came to life:Actually it more came to death, but you get the general idea.
While we got lots of oohs and aahs and even one woman who had her picture taken with my husband's demon there was one little boy that really brought home just how cool our decorations were.

He trotted up the walk accompanied by brothers/sisters/friends as well as mom and dad dressed up like Mickey Mouse. He couldn't have been more than 4 and while his friends and siblings all crowded around the box full of candy I was holding, with bright eyes he zipped past me for the luminaries and pointed in excited glee "Those are so cool!"

Then he was deep in the yard, checking out the tombstones, the pumpkins and the flashing demon babbling as only a four year old can as he tried to ask both what it was and tell us just how awesome he thought it all was.

It took his parents dragging him to the candy bowl and picking a piece so they could move on to get him out of the fun.

If that doesn't scream future Halloween nut, nothing will.
I should back up a bit too. While I tried to photograph everything that our yard was going to look like and get a good post in on Saturday, well we had a few last minute additions.

The first was this female Victorian ghoul. I'd had my eye on her all season but she was way too pricey at $40. Wandering around picking up some last minute necessities (like toilet paper) I saw her again and she was priced down to only $16 on Halloween day.
Tucked in the sits bath is a skeleton enjoying a nice soak in the ever changing mister/water jets of a cauldron. It was all my husbands idea.
And if you're curious as to just why everything was so misty in the pictures, after realizing that the suckers never go on sale we finally broke down and just before 5 bought ourselves a fogger.
But even these pictures don't really convey the Halloween essence our house took on this first year, so I took and created a little video of the yard at three different stages at night:The hat has been thrown into the ring, the gauntlet has slapped a knight in the face, the challenge begun. I fear we are already the cool Halloween house on the block but how much harder will we have to work next year to maintain the title?

I'll give you a hint. My husband and I are thinking of setting up an evil laboratory in our garage next year. So we'll have a haunted yard and a haunted garage.

I hope everyone else had a great Halloween, saw lots of trick or treaters (if you wanted to) or had a fun time playing old party games and dressing up.

4 comments:

Read and See said...

Dude. I can't get over how much trouble you guys go to for Halloween! I mean, I know it's big in the US and not really here, but I doubt I've ever done something on as grand a scale as this for ANYTHING.

That's kinda sad. You keep going with your awesome projects and I'll try find a way to do something fab for things that I find fab...

Krista said...

How fun! We didn't do anything because we had a fun hallowe'en wedding to attend.

But we left lots of candy with my mother-in-law, who "manned" the house. And we didn't get ONE trick-or-treater.

So it's my resolution that we'll decorate the house to the nines next year, so we attract kids!

Chesney said...

The ultimate compliment from a 5 minus yr old....gotta love that! I have to say, I'm with the kids, "how cool is your yard!"! :)

Rachel said...

It turned out soooo cool!!! Y'all did a great job. And I think the addition of a haunted labratory in the garage would be super cool - you'd have to make the kids walk through it to get the candy!