Friday, April 30, 2010

Mmmm couscous

My recipe catalog has been severely lacking for the summer months.

Hot sticky weather doesn't condone itself well to chaining oneself to an oven and religiously mincing vegetables for some over involved comestible. So most recipes I come across are either unappetizing due to the amount of work, the amount of food, or the weird crap they try to stick in just because well we got a ton of durian and damnit we're gonna use it!

I've been sampling various other food recipe magazines to see if I can find a good fit for us and while it's only one issue so far think I may have found a good one. It's called Eating Well and while I might argue with many of their pseudo-science articles I can't with tasty sounding food.

Last night I made a couscous (I adore couscous. It's the food of the greek gods.) parsley chicken wrap thing. Now my husband and I can pretend we're prisoners in the Village eating nothing buy wraps.
It has a very obvious greek base with the lemon juice, the garlic and the olive oil and was super tasty. Nice and light for those summer days and took about 30 minutes to whip up. I did alter the recipe a bit to suit my tastes and needs. No cucumber as they could kill my husband (I exaggerate, they just had a big falling out over a spilled tub of yogurt) and I cut everything in half.

If you're curious about the recipe you can check it out here at Roots and Zest a somewhat new blog from a very awesome lady. It was she who suggested I try the Eating Well magazine.

Though you should really go read her blog because she's hilarious and has some tantalizing food posts. I cannot be held liable if your keyboard is destroyed from all the drool.

Now I'm off to try and figure out what I can make the other 6 days of the week. Maybe some kind of mud and rock stew.

2 comments:

Aleda said...

Mmmm, that does sound yummy. I also recommend the book "Cool Kitchen", by Lauren Chattman. It's not a huge cookbook, but it's full of recipes that you don't have to turn on the oven/stove/hot things to make. It's been a lifesaver for us during those summers where it's 95F outside and almost as hot inside...

Carrie Mae said...

That looks good! I'm a huge fan of Greek food (really Mediterranean cooking in general).

Insofar as tasty cooking magazines go, may I recommend Cooking Light? They have more 'here's how to exercise' articles than crazy things about today's 'miracle food.'

You don't have to get the magazine, either, though it's fun to flip through -- they post all their recipes on their site.

Don't know if you eat pork, or meat at all, but we had the Griot with Sauce Ti-Malice last week. It was a-maz-ing over rice.

Cheers!