Thursday, May 20, 2010

I'm watching you

It's not easy being introverted in this extroverted world.

It was doubly dubious with a extra dose of annoyance thrown in growing up in the 80's/90's when one of the worst possible things you could be labeled was shy.

Shy was a mortal diagnosis for your future. Parents shrieked in horror, teachers hung their heads and kids just shrugged their shoulders and went back to their math homework.

Everyone is so sure that because you're not outgoing with a billion friends that you'll turn into some loner living in a shack contemplating whether you should have the leg of squirrel or roast road opossum for dinner.

Since I live more in my head and get exhausted from social situations I was declared damaged and had to attend incredibly stupid class workshops to get you to open up and be bubbly and happy and cause people to seriously contemplate that you are on something and how to best acquire it.

Sorry, but no amount of friend workshops and activity sheets is going to get me to turn into the Progressive lady.

Why is it so hard for extroverts to understand that not everyone is like them? You go and have your 20 random acquaintances hanging off your every word. I'll stand in the corner talking quietly to my husband and observing everything in my head.

I'm not hurting anyone by not being the belle of the ball and having 1,000 facebook friends.

But some extroverts even when faced with an introverts body language screaming at the top of its toes to "LEAVE ME ALONE!" still don't get it.

So for those days when you are tired, not feeling well and just want to get home to recharge before dealing with more people but the cashier won't stop trying to strike up a conversation here's a t-shirt I whipped up that should help.
If they're still so scared of us "shy" introverts might as well give them something to really be scared of.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I bet that one would sell really well.

Chesney said...

LOL, this is perfect! I am an extreme extrovert married to an extreme introvert! I need that for my husband :)

Read and See said...

I want one!

Krista said...

I am an extrovert, but I'm not an extreme extrovert. In fact, I can be shy in some situations.

I remember when being shy was a bad thing, and I didn't get it. I think what was causing fear and panic was they worried introversion could cause some "ism" or "obia". (Take your pick.) So grown-ups had to CURE shy people. (Obviously not recognizing a personality trait).

Being shy is not a bad thing. My mom always said as long as you have one friend you trust and love, the kids are alright. (I think I'm paraphrasing.)

I'm an extrovert, but I don't need 20 random acquaintances hanging off my every word. in fact, sometimes, I'll be in the corner talking to my husband.

Extreme extroversion is not good for social wellbeing, imo. (I'm thinking of the person with 100 people in your social circle but no real friends). But it's funny how extreme extroversion is not considered a bad thing by society, whereas extreme introversion means something is "wrong" with the person. I don't think that either one is good. (I mean, if you're so introverted you can't leave your house, that's not healthy either.)

Good post!