Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Coffin Cake

On top of Redcliffe and the hand that refused to stay buried my husband and I also hit up what appeared to be if someone crashed a Hallmark into a Ben Franklin using a small restaurant and picked up a coffin pan.

Like all baking paraphernalia left in the world this comes from Wilton


The picture on the box and recipe on the back suggested one use brownies, but coffins aren't usually crumbly and made to look like dirt. That's what the grave is for (this edible death analness is why you all love me, yes?), so I tossed the suggestions and hauled out my Evil Cake Overlord Cookbook.

This time I went a bit easier with an Autumn Glory Cake. I also halved everything from the original to fit.
  • 1 1/2 cups Cake Flour
  • 1 1/8th cups Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (okay I kept the cinnamon amount the same because I love that stuff)
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
  • 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 box of instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 3 Eggs
  • 3/4 cup Water (I used apple cider because I had some around).
  • 3/4 cup Butter
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
I'm sure you know by now mix together all those dry ingredients, add in eggs and water (or cider. . . Mmm, apple cider) mix, then butter and nilla.

I baked my little coffins at 350 for 30 minutes (cakes call for 45-60 minutes) as well as 6 extra cupcakes thanks to left overs and they came out looking like this:
Kind of cute right? Well wait until I extract them.

Is that not the most adorable line of coffins you've ever seen? You just want to scoop them all up and shove them in your mouth.

I'd almost call them done myself but what is cake without frosting? Again I have no technique whatsoever for putting a sugar and egg white mixture on top of delectables so just squint a bit.

I'm almost thinking next time I'll make some red frosting and pipe that into the middle like a bedding but leave the coffin sides unfrosted. The cake is so tasty it really doesn't need that much frosting anyway.

Now to find some unsuspecting Trick-Or-Treaters to unload these babies on.

No comments: