Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Watermelon

When my mother showed up for the Fear Crafters Ball she didn't just bring herself, a costume and her purse large enough to smuggle in an Oompa Loompa.

At first two pumpkins appeared, unexpected but useful given the season and my love of roasted seeds.

Then came the watermelon to kill all watermelon and eat their seeds while their mothers watched.

There are a lot of things I never ask with my mother just smile and nod and then work to fix/change whatever giant mess she just made. Neither I nor my husband like watermelon much less want to eat a fridge filling gargantuan out of season.

So, after putting up with it for a few days hogging the whole shelf and making sure I can't get at the mayonnaise it was finally time and what better way than this:

Essie wanted to join in the fun herself:

Thus passed the unwanted watermelon.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Apparently the rind is better than the insides. That's an interesting revelation. I always thought the inside was the part you were supposed to eat. Did she get sick from all that?