Monday, September 16, 2013

Pumpkin Spice M&M Cookies

They are real!
 Cue wavy flashback lines.

Back in the height of summer's death rays I spied with my little eye an image, a taunt as it were, that there was a bag of fabled M&M's flavored with that spice that brings all the white yoga pants to the yard. I decided right then and there to make it my mission in life to find and consume chocolates.

My husband considered me insane, and as stores continued to place their meager Hallows Eve offerings up I too began to fear a brain fever brought on this obsession. Then, as Target slowly stumbled out of a summer stupor, an entire display devoted to my fall long quest item.

So now that I have pumpkin spice M&M's what in the hell do I do with them?

Upon first taste they're not really in my cup of tea. I'm not one of those people who goes crazy for the spicing of pumpkins unless it is in pie. They're a teeny bit too strong for my flavor palette (have you ever painted with the colors of your spice cabinet?) but I thought ooh cookies.

These M&M's required a thicker cookie than usual M&M cookies. A hearty chocolate to compliment and partially bury the spice. Ooh I can be lazy and make cake cookies.
If you've never done the lazy cake dough cookie just melt a stick of butter, add in two eggs, pillor in the cake batter dust. I picked german chocolate but in retrospect I think dark chocolate would work as well. Try to form that mass into a ball of dough and then dump in the M&M's. 

I like to put the batter back into the fridge for an hour or so so it's easier to work with.

Then lump up the cookies and it's 8-10 minutes in a 350 oven.
They're pretty good, a cakey cookie with drops of pumpkin spice running like veins of geodes in a chocolate mine.

But I'm not crazy, the M&M's are real and on the wing of the plane!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And I just spotted the M&Ms in a Target ad today. Since they are only available at Target and that's near the Benjamin Franklin Craft store, I should be there soon. ;-)

Thanks for posting the cake/cookie recipe. I know that I have it around here somewhere....